Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fun times and scary marshmallows

My son turned 4 this past weekend, and his birthday party was wonderful! We had several friends and family members show up to celebrate his day. I got a lot of compliments on the cake I made (even though I knew it did not turn out as well as it could have, pic below) so it got the wheels in my head turning. It did not cost a lot to make it, so I decided I would throw myself out there and make some cakes for other functions. I am making two cakes tomorrow. One will be a basketball cake (for a church basketball championship BBQ) and the other will be a girly cake (for a girls' night I am planning that will be tomorrow evening). I honestly have no idea how the cakes will turn out, but I can tell you that it has already been an adventure making them.


(the birthday cake)



THE ADVENTURE:
I tried to make marshmallow fondant in my mixer tonight....... it ended up quickly oozing up the dough hook and out of the bowl like a blob-monster. I don't remember seeing that it the YouTube tutorial I watched so closely last night. I panicked and did the first thing I thought of..... I tried to use my hands to get the marshmallow back in to the bowl. When I realized that was a dumb idea I tried to turn off the mixer. I did it, but got marshmallow all over the mixer in the process. Then I moved the bowl to the sink (because my hand was already stuck to the bowl). I tried to remove the bowl from my hand carefully.... that didn't work. I ended up having to knock it off with my other forearm. Powdered sugar went everywhere. I got it all cleaned up and finished making the fondant by hand, but I got marshmallow in my hair and on my shirt in the process. I think that shirt may be considered a casualty of baking now..... I can't see any way I can get the now hardened marshmallow off of it.

But then it dawned on me..... you can't be a seasoned baker without having some kitchen disasters first. So I am proud that I had a ridiculous moment of sticky stupidity..... I think it means I am close to graduating to some entry-level of competency with my fondant/cake making skills.

I am so excited for tomorrow! I am going to have fun making these cakes, even if they fall apart in the end. After all, it will still taste delicious.

(sorry, I didn't take pictures of the disaster, maybe next time (and there will be a next time))

On another note, I got my hair cut again today. Here is the pic!

1 comment: