Saturday, August 28, 2010

Blog Challenge: Day Eleven - Friends of the Opposite Sex


When you are single, having friends of the opposite sex is not a problem. When you are casually dating, this problem is still non-existent. But when you start to date exclusively, become engaged, and eventually get married, how are those friendships with members of the opposite sex handled?

Some people carry on their friendships, some people diminish contact with those friends, and others stop carrying on friendships with them completely and they become mere acquaintances. I have diminished my friendships, not because I feel they are dangerous, but because my priorities in life have shifted in such a way that those male friends do not have a strong place in my life. My husband is the man I confide in the most aside from the Lord, and I like it that way.

In most (if not all) cases, however, it is wise to avoid deeper friendships with members of the opposite sex once you have entered in to the covenant of marriage. This is my opinion of course, and I am blessed that my husband shares this opinion. We have been counseled in church before never to be alone with a member of the opposite sex. Not for business lunches, work projects, in your car, at home, or anywhere that can create an environment of privacy, intimacy, and seclusion. This would be done so as to avoid any temptation that might be thrown our way. We may try as hard as we can to be righteous and true, but we are still weak because of our very nature. I see following these rules as a way of showing respect for yourself, your spouse, and your God. We admit that we are weak, that we need help and guidance, and that these suggestions can help us to avoid temptations that we may one day not be able to resist in our weakness.

I am certainly not saying that we should avoid any form of civility, communication, or acquaintance, as some opponents of this idea would say. Rather, we condition ourselves to be aware and on guard of the things the Adversary would want us to do. I think it all comes down to listening to the Spirit and using common sense.

Tonight I went to the store alone to get something for Bryan's Sunday school class. As I was leaving I ran in to the father of one of the girls from Grace's school. We stopped and chatted about how the kids were doing, what on Earth we were doing at the store at 9pm on a Saturday, and more about the kids. This conversation lasted about 15 minutes, and then we said good-bye and carried on our separate ways. Had this happened in a less public place I would have made the conversation shorter, because I tend to become uneasy around men in conversation when there are a lack of "witnesses", if you will. It seemed rather harmless to me, but I know that prying eyes and suspicious minds would allow themselves to think otherwise.

This leads to another thought:

What do you do to get out of an uncomfortable situation with a member of the opposite sex?

The few times it has happened to me over the last 8 years of being with Bryan, I always started talking about my husband and my children. It works like a charm every time. I have used the gospel a few times as a backup to stop an awkward conversation, and that has worked very well. I also take it upon myself to tell my husband about anything I encounter that would seem inappropriate, awkward, or uncomfortable. It helps me to let him know that I trust him with everything in my life, and that I am making choices that would honor our marriage and my integrity.

But I want to know...... what do YOU do? How do YOU do it?

2 comments:

  1. Luckily, I can't remember the last time when I was in an awkward situation with another guy, but I think I'd do similar things of beginning to talk about my husband and my kids.
    When Paul and I were single, in the singles ward, and even when we were dating and later engaged, we both knew that we were each flirts and we discussed that even after we were married we would still be flirts, that it wouldn't magically change just because we got married...but somehow it did. I can't really think of anyone other than my husband that I would feel comfortable "flirting" with, single or married.
    Now Paul still has several female friends who he keeps in touch with, but he always tells me about their conversations and I trust him completely. Maybe that makes me weird, but it doesn't bother me at all knowing that he is friends with other women. Most of them I've met, they obviously know he's married, and I'm just not worried about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily for us women, for the most part,once we are married men tend to avoid us anyway! Lol! Or so it seems to me. Women still practically throw themselves at my husband but I trust him completely. He tells me about encounters and conversations with women and they don't bother me. I've always told him, if he cheats, even once - he's gone. His loss! Lol! So I don't worry about it anymore. Like Jen said I don't remember the last time I was in an uncomfortable situation with a guy. I have guy friends, I keep in touch on FB with all my exes. We are just friends now and nothing more. My hubby is friends with women I don't know on his FB but I never snoop or check up on him. I just really don't care!

    ReplyDelete