Saturday, September 4, 2010

Blog Challenge: Day Eighteen - Come What May



I read a talk by Joseph B. Wirthlin titled "Come What May, and Love It". The talk is pretty self-explanatory, but..... well..... we all know that is so much easier said than done!

It feels completely against natural instinct to smile at negativity and laugh at injury and mistake. But that would make positivity during adversity an eternal/spiritual trait, which is something we are trying to do, right? He quoted that:

"...in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result."

His solutions to negativity in the face of adversity are to laugh, seek for the eternal, understand the principle of compensation (or karma: the layman's term), and trust in the Father and the Son.

Learning to Laugh: There is a reason the term "laughter is the best medicine" has been a dominant saying for hundreds of years. Finding reasons to smile and laugh in our darkest moments can temporarily relieve the weight of those burdens. Bryan will always try to make me laugh after he and I have had a disagreement, and I have found that I feel more resolved and light-hearted when I cave in and just laugh at his antics. Feelings of bitterness and anger cannot be present when feelings of good humor and positivity are stronger. So laugh at yourself the next time you slam your shin into a bed corner or stub your toe. Sing a happy song the next time something is revealed to you that would make your spirits drop and your blood pressure rise. Seek out the better of the two in all things. And remember, it WILL be a challenge, but it is not something you are doing alone. :-)

Seek For the Eternal: Always keep eternity in perspective. Traits such as patience, understanding, forgiveness, long-suffering, charity, compassion, hope, faith, and unconditional love can be improved and used as a shield against the negativity of temporal woes. Learn how these traits fit your personality and your life, and practice using them always! Show them to others, and show them to yourself. Remember why you know them and for what purpose you use them. We are all spirit children of a divine heritage, and we can overcome adversity when we have eternity in mind.

The Principle of Compensation: If we do all we can in the goodness that we know, the Lord will see fit to bless us where we have lost during our efforts. Losing something in our lives and taking only bitterness and resentment with us will repay us loneliness and hurt. Losing something in our lives and seeking to gain a better knowledge of it through open understanding, forgiveness, and seeking out happiness will repay us with wisdom, peace, and joy. Do not forget this simple rule in all things you do, and in all things that are done to you. It will be repaid.

Trust the Father and the Son: God wants us to be happy. He wants us to be successful. If we do our part, He will step in. If we put our faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, the Lord will share our burdens with us, He will know us and help us. I have a testimony of this that I can share. One is tangible, the blessing of paying a full tithing. We had some financial struggles last year that lead to needing some church assistance. The bishop came to our home and counseled us to continue paying a full tithing and that we would see blessings from it. We had faith, so we did our part. Bryan was blessed not long after with a wonderful employment opportunity that still blesses us today. Another example is the small attempts in life that have given me peace in the end. Asking things such as:

Was I a strong wife today?
Was I a loving mother today?
Did I make the right choice?
Did I do all I can?
Could I be proud of my efforts and my actions?

The answers I receive to those questions are only sure and clear when I am truly doing all I can before I offer my questions to the Lord for an answer. Trust that you will receive the help you need after you have gone as far as you can go.



Again, I believe we all know that it is easier said than done. I struggle with it every day. But I know that I have made progress over the past 10 years of my life. I know that I have made even more progress the last 3 years. Seeking for the good and understanding the impact of a positive outlook can truly make every one's burdens feel lighter, as we relieve ourselves of useless burdens and allow ourselves to carry only that which makes us stronger, wiser, better, and happier.

Here is the talk I read, if you are interested in reading it:

http://tinyurl.com/2cw2dh8

No comments:

Post a Comment