Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blog Challenge: Day Twenty Six - Learn From Your Children


The last few days have been so hectic! Just to catch everyone up to speed:

Our air conditioner stopped working Wednesday night, and we didn't realize it until Thursday morning. I tried to take a look at it Thursday morning, but it was making a really loud straining noise and the breaker had tripped. We had someone come out last night with parts to try and fix it, but a few pieces had burned out in the attic, so we are waiting on another replacement part to see if that will fix the problem. Keep us in your thoughts, please!

Moving on from that, I want to blog about a specific topic tonight. As adults, we often forget that children are vessels of wisdom that have not been tainted by world views. My daughter picked a topic for her talk in primary that impressed me, and I wanted to share it with all of you. I felt that she needed to teach me today, instead of me being her teacher. She stood at the stand in the primary room and talked about faith. She spoke of Nephi and his direction to build a boat, although he had no knowledge to do so himself. She read 1 Nephi 17:8 as a reference, and then said we should all have faith like Nephi. Then she bore her testimony that she new Christ was her savior, and that having faith in him would bless our lives.

Now, she asked for help to give her talk, but I knew that she was inspired by her choice of topic and the story she wanted to reference. I am so proud of her, and I think we could all take wisdom from her example. We should all have faith and lean not unto our own understanding. We should remember who loves us and who provides the way for our salvation.

I am so very thankful for my children. They are truly precious, and I am looking forward to all of the lessons they will teach me when I am in need of a gentle reminder.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but I don't understand the reference to Nephi. Who is that? Is that like Noah?
    I do believe our children can teach us things, my daughter is constantly teaching me lessons I need to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Nephi is like Noah, but only in righteousness, faith, and the fact that he was on a boat. I am LDS, and I reference the Book of Mormon quite a bit. Nephi was a righteous man like Noah, and he sailed on a ship with his family to the Americas. But he is not a reference or a similarity to Noah in other scriptures, he is a seperate person in a different story.

    I love how much our children can teach us. Just this morning in the car on the way to my daughter's school, Andrew said "Jesus loves us, and Daddy wants to be like Him.". It's amazing how observant little children can be. :-)

    ReplyDelete