Monday, September 6, 2010

Blog Challenge: Day Nineteen - Gratitude!!



Yes, I am aware that I missed posting yesterday. I am battling what appears to be a rather nasty cold, and my seasonal allergies have kicked in to make it oh-so-easier on me. Here is what I have been battling:

Cold crud:

Stuffy nose
Stuffy sinuses
Clogged ears
Sore throat
Drainage
Persistent cough
Low fever
Fatigue
Mildly upset stomach

Allergy crud:

Runny nose
Itchy eyes
Itchy throat
Itchy soft palate
Sneezing
Watery eyes

The last time I had allergies and a cold together I ended up with a nasty sinus infection which required taking antibiotics to avoid a bone infection. Since I HATE antibiotics, I am forcing myself to lay around and take it easy, drink tons of liquids, sit in a steamy bathroom 3-4 times a day, use my Neti religiously, keep expectorant, Zicam homeopathic cold remedy, Zyrtec, Prince of Peace Ginger and Honey Crystals, and saline nasal wash with me constantly, as well as a box of tissues always in hand.

Sleeping sitting up has not been fun at all, but it is the only way I can breathe right now. I have very strange, vivid dreams when I sleep on my back, so my sleep has been fragmented at best over the past few days.

All that aside, though. I am truly thankful for my husband and my children. My husband has been very sympathetic and helpful the past few days, and my children have been abnormally good-natured. Even the dog we have for the weekend (possibly longer) has quickly picked up on my poor state and laid with me and looked at me with sad eyes every time I have a coughing fit.

I LOVE my bed and the couch right now. They are so soft and luxurious, and I can rest on them without getting stiff or sore. The pillows have been feeling extra soft and fluffy the past few days, and I can't help but feel like Snuggles snuck through my house and touched all of my bedding and clothes, chuckling goofily the whole way.

Grace has been such a big helper with her brother, playing nicely with him and helping him get breakfast and lunch so I can sleep in. She is even rinsing her dishes and his without complaint or delay. I am so thankful for that right now!

Bryan has been rubbing my back and head, and he keeps asking me if there is anything I need. He quit his quest to stay up late and play video games last night to come hold me in bed so I could fall asleep faster. He was completely understanding and made not one complaint when he realized I would probably be sick all through Labor Day weekend. He has been laying around with me and playing with the kids and the dog (his name is Sam, by the way) when they are getting wound up but I am in stuffy head la-la land. I might even take him up on his offer to get me something and send him out for more chicken noodle soup, electrolyte drink, and nose strips later.

I am so thankful for my health. My immune system may not fight off viruses as fast as my husband or my children, but I know that it is a remarkable machine that is working hard to get me well. I am thankful for the advent of modern medicine, and the simplicity of "old" medicine. I am thankful for the knowledge I have obtained that can help me realize what I can combine and what combinations will harm me. I am thankful for the simple remedies of rest and rejuvenation, and the people who help me get those things. I am thankful for my Heavenly Father. I know he hears my prayers for comfort and speedy recovery, and he blesses me with those things as I do what I can and should to make them happen.

I am thankful that we can afford to buy medicine that we need and that we can afford for me to see a doctor if I need to. I am thankful for all of the things we already have at our disposal here at home for great use in comforting my ailments. I am very thankful that my husband and children have not suffered the same symptoms I have over the past few days. My husband's immune system is abnormally strong and effective. He felt sick the day before yesterday, but felt fine yesterday. My son and daughter have only had allergy symptoms, and no symptoms of a cold yet. If those symptoms do show, I know that they will recover many days before I do. I am truly thankful for that. I am so glad that I have given them immune boosting natural medications to help them grow strong and resistant to these viruses that tend to drag me down.

I am thankful that I will overcome this and feel better within several days. I know I will not struggle with it for months on end. While I look forward to recovering completely, and I hope that it will magically happen tomorrow, I am secretly thankful that I have this virus so I can be reminded of all of my little blessings and the wonderful people who surround me and love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment