Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blog Challenge: Day Twenty Two - Usefulness and Happiness


With Andrew at pre-school two days each week, I have time to be alone and figure out what I can do to feel useful and happy apart from my motherly role during the day. Since I am done with my Bachelor's degree, I endeavor to take on smaller tasks that will not cost so much money. :-)

He started pre-school this week, so this is the adjustment period. I am training myself to not feel guilty about going and eating lunch with some girl friends or with my husband on days when both of the kids are at school.

So my challenge is to find a balance between usefulness and happiness.

Last year I burned myself out with PTA volunteering, classroom volunteering, scheduling play dates left and right, church callings, and finishing my degree. I felt useful while I was doing it, but always regretted cramming too much in when I was exhausted and ready to sleep at 8pm every night. It cut in to time I could spend with my husband and children quite a bit, and I am glad that I have this new chapter in life to test new waters.

This year I am still determined to volunteer for the PTA and in the classroom, but I want to divide my volunteer time between Grace's school and Andrew's pre-school. So I have resolved to decrease the amount of time I dedicate to the one over the other. But I have also resolved to spend time working on my own hobbies and progress. Now that I am finally done with college, I am reading more for leisure again, and I am really enjoying it. I am also slowly teaching myself how to play simple guitar chords. I took up a few craft hobbies again, and I am going to hit the backyard landscaping full speed over the next 6 weeks. This is all very exciting for me, as I get to use skills that I have already cultivated and refine them further.

One thing I have loved recently is my chance to workout alone more often. I can take the dog (Sam, yes, he's new) on a walk alone, or I can get on the treadmill in the morning or in the afternoon while Andrew is at school or doing quiet time. It helps me feel healthy, rejuvenated, focused, and lively.

I am thoroughly enjoying reconnecting with the happiness I feel when I am useful, and redefining usefulness. All things that are uplifting and joyous are of use, no matter how small the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment