Thursday, April 15, 2010

A crying shame!


I feel like I am cheating on my inner-baker with a tub of convenience!

I LOVE to bake, bread, cakes, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, pastries, it is all so much fun for me. But I had an inner-conflict. Grace has been bringing home one fundraiser after another from school this year, and we had not ordered anything from the ridiculously priced catalogues. So I caved and bought some cookie dough from the last fundraiser and we got the tub today. It is overpriced for the amount, of course, and the tub reminds me of a tub of margarine.

Grace said "Alright! Can I help you make them?", so I had to explain to her that we don't "make" these cookies, we just scoop the already-made dough out of the container and put it on the baking stone, then put it in the oven to cook. She stared at me blankly and then said "ooooookaaaaaay....." in an unsure voice. So I followed the directions by turning the oven to 325, then I peeled off the plastic safety seal from the dough. Grace and I just stood there and stared blankly at the dough for at least half a minute before she said "That's it???". I said "pretty much" and then took a spoon and started scooping the dough out and dropping it on to the baking stone. Grace's response was "booooooooring, come get me when the cookies are done!" and then skipped off to play. I felt so UNFULFILLED after baking them. There was NO mixing, NO pouring, NO measuring, and NO flour messes to clean afterwards.

But then I ate one after they had all cooled down. They were really good! I felt like I was commiting some sort of baking crime and that I had probably jinxed my next batch of cookies by taking the convenience route.

Grumpy cookie, please don't be disappointed in me, I promise it wont happen again!!

2 comments:

  1. Lol! I like to bake too - mainly cakes, sometimes a few pies or fruit crisps but for some reason, no matter how hard I try, I can't bake cookies. They always go flat. They taste fine but look terrible so I usually stick to the packaged ones when and IF I ever make cookies. They aren't in my diet anymore so I don't make them!!! But the ones in the tubs are actually pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore baking too! My kids will eat anything I make but my husband gets alittle sad when I healthy up my recipes too much! LOL And if cookies don't have chocolate he says "Why bother having cookies" : )

    ReplyDelete