Monday, April 19, 2010

Layla......... *shakes head*


Why is it so hard to housetrain Layla???

It rained again last night, so she stood there shivering by the back door, refusing to do her business outside. She didn't use her puppy pads, even after I sprayed them with the "mark" spray. Instead, she ran over to my area rug, AGAIN, and peed on the corner of it before I could stop her. But this time IT SMELLS REALLY BAD. I put enzyme spray on it, I did Nature's Miracle 3-in-1 spray, I did Folex, I put baking soda on it, and it STILL SMELLS (all of these were applied seperately over the course of 12 hours). The spray to keep her away from the area rug is NOT working, so she has spent the majority of the day in her kennel in the garage. Every time I have let her out to get her to go pee, she just stands in the backyard and stares at me. Since the ground is still damp, she doesn't want to go outside. Back to the kennel she goes then! The kennel will become her refuge, so I don't punish her right before I put her in. Instead, I pick her up, scratch her ears, put her in the kennel, and walk away without saying anything.

But...... ugh. I really like my area rug! Did she have to pee on that? Does she have to try to single out the area rug every time she tries to pee or poo in the house? It's going to cost an arm and a leg to get it cleaned. It might be cheaper just to go get another one. But the one I have is one I bought when we were in Ohio this past Christmas. I haven't seen any like it since we got back to Texas. So I am not happy with Layla right now, at all. We make a ton of progress with housetraining, and then she regresses completely after it rains. What on earth can I do???

4 comments:

  1. I'm dealing with the same thing with my puppy. She was doing amazing, and then lately...messes everywhere, seems like all the time. Hopefully it's a phase. I know children sometimes regress, maybe puppies go through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy does the same thing when it rains (did it just yesterday, in fact). I can't stand it, either, but I can kind of understand how she might feel. Hang in there, it's a whole lot of back-and-forth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it strange that I find small comfort in the fact that we are not the only family in the ward battling with a stinky puppy?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toss her out into the yard. ;-p The sooner she gets used to the wet stuff, the better.

    ReplyDelete